When you enter any home other than your own, one of the first things you will notice is the smell of the home. Smells can be very noticeable to others even if they aren’t unpleasant ones. If the smell happens to be one that isn’t pleasant, it can make a very bad first impression. If your home is for sale, make sure you ask a friend to stop by for a sniff test. Pet odors can be a major deterrent to buyers that are looking at your home. Even if they have pets of their own, they don’t want to smell yours. If your pets have a strong odor that has penetrated your home, it might be a good idea to board them or ask if they can stay with a friend somewhere else while you have your home on the market.
Here are some ideas that will help you eliminate any pet odors from your home before you list it for sale.
- Make sure you have performed a deep cleaning of your home. Don’t skip the carpet, fabrics, and upholstery as they can trap odors. Consider professional cleaning especially for carpet and upholstery if you want to give your home its best shot at eliminating odors. Experts suggest, if at all possible, don’t allow the pets to come back into your home after the cleaning is completed.
- If you have a cat, make sure you keep the cat’s litter box clean at all times. It should also be placed in a location that isn’t prominent.
- If your pets have bedding in the home, make sure it is washed regularly as it holds a lot of odor.
- Make sure your pets are groomed and bathed regularly to eliminate a buildup of odors on them.
- Make sure you pick up after your dogs if they use the bathroom in your yard. Not only do you not want a potential buyer to step in it, odors will be left behind if you allow their waste to stay in your yard.
- If it isn’t too cold or too hot, try to open the windows and doors every few days to let fresh air in and let odors out.
It can be really hard to notice odors in your own home when you are there every day so it is important to have someone else walk through and let you know if they notice any particular smells. If you are ready to sell your home and unsure of where to start, give us a call and we can help you determine the value of your home.
Coldwell Banker Bermuda Realty
11 Par-la-Ville Road
Hamilton HM HX
Connect With Us:
Call us today at (441) 292-1793 or you can reach us by email by clicking here